Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pup teaching the 'old' dog new tricks…

While at a recent bead show here in Atlanta, I was inspired by a young artist who was selling pretty hand forged copper jewelry interwoven with brass wire, gemstones, glass, turquoise and tiny copper beads.  He had a few lovely pieces on display, but selling the jewelry was not his focus; he was more interested in explaining the techniques he used and sharing his knowledge of working with copper.  It was obvious to me that teaching was more important to him than selling his finished jewelry.  I found this very refreshing from such a young (early 20s?) man.

Copper findings and cuffs.


So, I purchased some copper components from his booth and another vendor selling copper beads. Admittedly, I have very limited experience with copper, but I’m starting to like working with it.  Copper has such a warm and organic feel.  And my new favorite young man assured me that I could master the technique.  Stay tuned to see what I come up with using my new copper materials.

Share this Blog Post :

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a silver wearer, so I'm always looking at other metals as options. Copper is one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Copper is a warm and wonderful metal to work with, I hope you enjoy creating the process of coming up with new designs.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete