Friday, January 28, 2011

Logging My Favorites......

This is the fifth installment of a ongoing log of my favorite things. Once a month I will post a favorite. It might be a person, or a place, or even a event. Hopefully it will help you get to know me a little better. I'd love your comments and I hope to make some connections through our mutual enjoyment of these treasures.

Highlands, North Carolina

When my life sometimes becomes hectic in the urban lowlands of Georgia, a few days in Highlands, NC can work wonders to refresh and renew my mind, body, and soul.

From the moment we turn off the main highway and start gaining altitude I feel my body and mind start to relax. We must slow down. I pay attention to the road as it narrows and winds upward. The air feels cooler. The light changes. Peeking through the trees, I take in the views: the pastures, the pines and towering tulip poplars of the Nantahala National Forest, the dramatic drop-off into the Cullasaja River Gorge. The views are breath taking, the pristine mountain air and panoramic beauty melts away my cares and fills me with an inexplicable serenity.

Highlands is a charming small mountain town at the second highest point (4118 feet) in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. The town has exquisite restaurants, fabulous shopping, and a great cultural arts scene. The "postcard" downtown offers plenty of art galleries, antique stores and upscale boutiques. In the middle of downtown Highlands is the Old Edwards Inn, one of my favorite spots for a glass of wine and a delicious meat and cheese sampler. I love this little town and hope to visit soon!

Remarkable Update: Just as I was finishing this blog post, my Husband called to let me know he was making reservations in Highlands for the weekend. He did not know I was writing about Highlands and I did not know he was thinking about a road trip this weekend. It is just another example of how much we are in tune with each other. I’m so excited about the trip!


Share this Blog Post :

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori! Just stopping in to say HI and thanks for joining my blog! I'm a Carolina girl at heart - grew up in Charlotte and my brother lives in Asheville where I had my wedding. I have never been to Highlands, but it looks so beautiful! I'll have to go there one day!!! Have fun with the BSBP! Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful place. hope you had a restful week end.

    ReplyDelete