Friday, September 9, 2011

The Yellow Daisy Craft Festival

#8 Logging My Favorites

This is the eigth installment of a ongoing log of my favorite things. Once a month I will post a favorite. It might be a person, or a place, or even an event. Hopefully it will help you get to know me a little better. I'd love your comments and I hope to make some connections through our mutual enjoyment of these treasures.

Have I mentioned yet that I’m a craft festival, flea market, farmer’s market, and antique market type of gal? More than anything I love supporting handmade and homemade artists. This weekend is one of my favorite events, the Yellow Daisy Festival.

Despite its growth from a small arts & crafts show to the four day event that it has become today, the Yellow Daisy Festival continues to be a big show (over 400 crafters) with a small-town feel. Multi-generations of mothers, daughters and grandmothers will be roaming the wooded trails together in search of the perfect item. Just look at the map, the festival is huge and it’s jam-packed full of artistic vendors and shoppers.



I’ve found that there is no apparent rhyme or reason to the location of the vendors throughout the massive festival area, although I must say that the setup works. A supposedly one-way path is often walked the wrong way by newbie’s, but nobody seems to care because most shoppers are really only interested in getting to the next booth. The paths are shaded by huge native hardwoods making the day more enjoyable; our weather here in Atlanta can still be a bit warm in September.


Whatever your passion, you will find fun items to purchase at this festival. I’ve also found that the festival is a great place to go and get new inspiration. So many wonderful artists all in one place! Shoppers and crafters alike enjoy the atmosphere of the event. There is live music, fabulous festival food and crafter demonstrations all day.


One of my favorite stops each year is the antique grain grinding machine (below) from Logan Turnpike Mill. It spurts, sputters, shutters and occasionally backfires as it grinds the most superb stone ground grits. I’m not a native southerner, but I do love good grits!



Here is the link to the festival website if you are interested in getting more information. Hope to see you there! http://festivals.stonemountainpark.com/mini-section/default.aspx?id=14




Share this Blog Post :

No comments:

Post a Comment