Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 12/14/2016

I’m joining the fun this week…. 
Sitting by the fireplace and answering random questions about everything under the sun….

Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.





1. Are you more task oriented or people oriented? Elaborate.
I'm much more task oriented, I don't warm up to people easily, shyness has been a lifelong challenge for me.  I'm the gal at the party taking photos, serving drinks, picking up empty cups and playing with the cat. I look for tasks to keep me busy so I'm  not obsessing about initiating conversations or coming up with smart responses. Just being myself in social situations is never easy for me...tasks are straightforward and effortless.

2. December 15 is National Wear Your Pearls Day...do you own/wear pearls? If you're a man answering the question, does your sweetheart own or wear pearls? Everyone share a 'pearl of wisdom' with us here today.




I believe pearls are a girls best friend! I have several strands: fake, cultured, and natural. I wear pearls all the time and use them in many of my jewelry designs. The Pearl bracelet pictured above is a best seller in my Etsy shop.


My pearl of wisdom...


3. Speaking of pearls...oysters? Are you a fan or not a fan? If you answered yes, tell us your favorite way to eat oysters? If you said no, be honest-have you ever tried one or does just the idea of eating an oyster make you gag a little?



I lived in Florida for many years and had a roommate who worked at Calico Jack's Oyster Bar... I've eaten my fair share of oysters.  I can't choke down even one of the raw variety, but I can tolerate them in a soup. dip, or stew. They are not my favorite; I think it's a visual thing....ewww!


4. Time Magazine has named President-elect Donald Trump Person of the Year. Let's take presidents and presidential candidates out of the mix for a minute. If a political figure had not been chosen who would you name Man or Woman of the Year for 2016?
I've thought long and hard about this question and could not come up with one person I would chose, so I will nominate theMen and Women who spent countless hours fighting the wildfires near our home and all over the US. We had crews from as far as Oregon right here in our neighborhood. The crew pictured above is from Puerto Rico... god bless them and keep them safe! 


5. The Pantone Color of the Year for 2017 has been announced, and it's a vibrant green aptly named-greenery. Your thoughts? Is this a color currently in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in this shade for the new year? Click here to see the color.
A previous home we owned in Mid-Town Atlanta was painted a shade very similar to "Greenery"  it was Craftsman architecture with Cream colored trim and a Forest Green door. Loved it! Can't think of one item that color in our new home. We now live in a log home...a lot of wood tones with small pops of color.

6. Today I've had too much of -  
Facebook political view bashing.
Ugh...enough already. I believe in "Live and Let Live" Everyone has a right to their own opinion and the freedom of speech to post it. Just because you have a different opinion or belief , it doesn't give you the right to call the author names, comment on their intelligence, or bash their beliefs. Simply move on, or hide the offensive posts, or better yet unfriend the people who annoy you. Facebook is a social forum, why are some people making it a battleground? I'm over it....moving on.....


7. Share a favorite lyric from a favorite Christmas carol.



The fireside is blazing bright 
We're caroling through the night 
And this Christmas will be
A very special Christmas for me...


8.  Insert your own random thought here.



Next month I'm starting a new Meetup Group - Ladies Bunco Night in Blue Ridge, GA. This is my first Meetup group and my first attempt at organizing a Bunco Night.  Any helpful tips or suggestions to make this group a success?  I need advice on what food and drink the hostess provides. Potluck? Provide the Meat? Just provide appetizers?  I need some help with what has worked for your groups and meetups.

Cheers,
Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

Share this Blog Post :

24 comments:

  1. Hi, Lori...I've been more on the reserved side my whole life, but in the past year or so, I've made a decision to push myself, socially. Joining our church choir has been a huge step for me and I've found out that I absolutely love it...being around other believers to bring honor and glory to God has been so awesome! I have grown so much as a person and as a Christian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are looking for a church home here in Blue Ridge, but we just haven't found a good fit yet. I have been a member of a women's bible study that was a wonderful way to connect with other like minded ladies...I miss it. Thanks for stopping by my Hodgepodge!
      Lori

      Delete
  2. I put the wildfire firefighters in the person of the year category as well. And your pearl of wisdom is great -- just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on #1, but might fight you to pet the cat! LOL ;) Your nomination is a great one. God bless those firefighters and first responders. Amen. Good luck with your new group for Bunco! I've never been in a card club or game club, but my mom was. They just did snacks and beverages and the hostess provided it - they sent to a different home each month. Let us know what you decide and how it comes together! Might be a fun thing to do in my retirement! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm the cat hugger! I'll keep you posted about my Bunco adventures, hoping to make some new friends. Thanks for stopping by my Hodgepodge.
      Lori

      Delete
  4. I think some people use Facebook to bash other people because they want to just be mean but are afraid of doing it for real. By posting ugly stuff they don't do it to the faces of the people they enjoy offending and don't have to deal with the repercussions of what they say. It's a good place for cowards to feel brave. I try not to spend a lot of time on Facebook for that reason. (I just have a number of friends that don't answer email anymore)

    
I love that Christmas song and the photo you have to accompanying the lyric is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that cowards are the bullies on facebook. I've unfriended a few. Thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today!
      Lori

      Delete
  5. Oh I can't handle Facebook for all the above reasons and more. I think greenery would be a very pretty color with cream accents. I have a green house and a green door with a beigey trim. BJ at Sweet Nothings is your gal for all things Bunco related. I's sure that her Bunco posts would come right up with a search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Bunco tip, I will search for her posts. Also, thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today.

      Delete
  6. LOVE that bracelet! I've learned to skip right on past those who are mean on FB. Some, I have even unfriended not because they commented to me but because they did to others and it was not nice. I don't have time for, 'not nice.' Your answer to #1 could have been mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found over the last few months of hodgepodge that we do have similar personalities and enjoy some of the same things. So glad that I'm getting to know you better through your blog.
      Lori

      Delete
  7. I am not on Facebook and never will be. And its not just becaude I am more of an introvert. I really don't give two hoots about what some people have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have reconnected with some long lost friends on facebook, but it can be frustrating. Thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today.
      Lori

      Delete
  8. I love the picture of the couple in front of the fireplace. I'd love to have one in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky enough to have several in the house, very cozy at christmas time. We have been truly blessed. Thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today.
      Lori

      Delete
  9. "No grit, no pearl." I really like that. It's so true, so very true.

    Your pearl bracelet is stunningly beautiful. I can see why it's a best-seller.

    As for Face Book -- there's been a lot of stuff on there worthy of ignoring. Like you, I wish people would move on.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment on my jewelry, it's fun to make and sell. Also, thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today, as always it's nice to know that my blogs is getting some readers.
      Lori

      Delete
  10. I think your nominations for men/women of the year are great. Firefighters work hard, usually with little recognition.
    I love that warm and cozy photo of the couple by the fire :)
    Best wishes with your Bunco group! Have fun.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I agree, our protectors do not get enough recognition or salary for the hard work they do.
      Lori

      Delete
  11. That bracelet is lovely. Enjoyed reading your answers. It's brave of you to want to start a meet up group considering your response to #1 (I can empathise with that.) I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great choice for man/woman of the year. I'm with you on the tasks in get togethers. I get too distracted at functions to have good talks, etc. with people. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas. The shot in front of the fire is so comfort/cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I deal better with doing things behind the scenes, too. I'm just not an in-the-crowd kind of person.

    Your pearl bracelet is beautiful!

    How close are they to getting the fires out, Lori? I pray they are out soon and that no more people are hurt or killed in these fires.

    I've never been involved in one of these meetups, so have no suggestions for you. I do hope that all goes well and that you have a great time with it.

    Have a blessed weekend and a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are right. Firefighters and other first responders should be the people of the year. Have a great weekend and a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete