Sunday, February 2, 2020

First Day at New Job.......

I had the opportunity to attend two week long classes at the John C. Campbell Folk Art School in Brasstown, NC. It was a wonderful experience and well worth the investment. I fell in love with everything about this campus and the people who love it.

I waited patiently for a position to open up that I had the skills for.  Finally a position was posted in November that I was qualified for. After a long interview process I was hired for the job! Tomorrow will be my first day. My title will be Development Coordinator.


Mrs. Olive Dame Campbell donated her homestead and created the beautiful campus. The school was founded to nurture and preserve the folk arts of the Appalachian Mountains, it is a nonprofit adult educational organization based on non-competitive learning. Founded in 1925, the Folk School's motto is “I sing behind the plow”. The Folk School has week-long and weekend classes year-round in traditional and contemporary arts, including but not limited to jewelry, fiber, blacksmithing, music, dance, cooking, gardening, nature studies, photography, storytelling and writing. 


The landscape is inspiring...


The studios are well appointed...


Classes are fun and varied...


The classes are beginner to advanced levels...

The class that got me on the path to my new job was precious metal clay jewelry. The instructor was Pam East – she is a precious metal clay artist who shares her knowledge and expertise. She is funny and interesting and a great teacher.   Here is a sample of my work:

Copper Metal Clay Jewelry - Lori Dorrington

I'll keep you posted on my adventure!

Cheers!
Lori in Blue Ridge
Share this Blog Post :

No comments:

Post a Comment