Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Art of Doing Nothing....

I hate to admit this in writing, but I am a procrastinator. For most people a small bit of this won’t hurt anything. For me, it can influence the difference between whether any work gets done in a day or not. Time management is fortunately a skill even an old dog can learn, but taking the initiative to do it, well that is another thing….
Time Flies Pendant Necklace
Today, I’m committing to better time management in my creative life and this is how I plan to do it… (There, I’ve said it; it’s on paper for the world to see)

1.) I plan to take care of the most urgent tasks of the day first. Example: mailing packages from my Etsy shop sales. This way, urgent tasks won’t be weighing on my mind for the rest of the day. Time management has a lot to do with setting priorities. Completing a task can be quite powerful if you take what is known about forward momentum and put it to use.

2.) I will break down large projects into smaller, more manageable ones. This will help me work on large projects a little bit at a time without feeling overwhelmed or stressed. If I work on different elements of the task on different days, I will stay more interested in it.

3.) I will overcome inertia that binds me. The longer I put off a project, the hard it is to get moving. Inactivity becomes the norm and nothing gets done. Even if I take baby steps it’s at least a start in the right direction.

4.) I will give myself rewards! Giving myself something to look forward to after I’ve completed the “to do” list will give me a good reason to finish the task.

Wish me luck and scold me if you see me wasting time!
Cheers!
Lori




Share this Blog Post :

No comments:

Post a Comment