Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Are you happy at work?


LUNCH WITH 'FRIENDS'

Many of you know that my ‘day job’ is with a very large organization here in Atlanta. I’ve been with this company for many years as a devoted employee and I’ve had the opportunity to travel the US and Canada meeting hundreds of dedicated employees.

This week it was wonderful running into someone that remembered me from a training event that I worked on 20+ years ago.  I had made enough of an impression that they not only remembered the event, they even remembered my name after so many years. Was it my great training skills? Was it my outgoing personality? Or maybe it was my quirky fashion sense? Nope, none of the above…it was the chili. No, that wasn’t a typo; it was the Chili I made.  Hmmm….that got me thinking…. 

At that time we were a much smaller company, more of a family than a giant corporate building of unidentified faces. We did things like chili cook-offs, holiday parties, and after work get-togethers. Back in the day we invited co-workers for home cooked Holiday meals and softball games with dogs on the grill. I miss that Family feeling!!!  How do we get that fun family back?

I may be over simplifying the solution, but what do families do to strengthen their bonds? They get together and eat. Eating together provides a way for everyone in the family to share, connect, and bond.  What did all my favorite events listed above have in common – FOOD.

I did a little research on the subject and found that employees in the healthiest companies often eat together, talk about food, and even cook for each other. Certainly, getting employees to eat together more often is not the sole antidote for my organizations “estranged family” issues. But, experts agree that the practice of eating together can have many positive benefits. And if you're not convinced, remember, this all started with a bowl of chili; food was our link over 20 years later.

Anyone out there having lunch with friends today, Save me a seat!  Cheers!

Share this Blog Post :

2 comments:

  1. My first job was a choice between a Kohal's sales associate and a much smaller scale job at a local bait and tackle/cafe in our state part--I chose the latter and wouldn't have done it any other way even though there was a $1.00 difference in pay.

    I LOVED the small scale job where I did almost anything and everything. My boss and I were actually friends and I was able to chat with the customers as long as I wanted.

    It really is a great feeling when you're a 'family.'

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have done the same, I love the outdoors and would have enjoyed working in a park even if it meant a little less money each week.

      Delete