Friday, July 9, 2010

Whew…it’s HOT outside….

Glen Falls near Highlands, NC

The weather is stifling here in middle Georgia. I'm staying inside today to try and stay cool today. 
Here’s a list of small measures you can take in lieu of cranking up the air conditioning:
-Take a quick, cool water shower (if you have long hair like me, this is the best possible means I’ve found of cooling off in a hurry).
-Keep yourself hydrated, dehydration increases your heart rate which will warm you up and contribute to your overall discomfort.
-Keep the kitchen cool by grilling outdoors, blending up cold soups like gazpacho, and eating cold pasta or egg salads.  Eating lighter on hot days will limit the amount of energy (heat) you generate digesting a big meal.
-Make use of public swimming areas, whether that’s the ocean, a lake, a creek, or a mountain stream. Georgia and North Carolina are overflowing with wonderful clear clean streams, Glen Falls pictured above,  is just one of my favorite 'cool' spots.
-Pull your hair up into a floppy hat when outdoors. It provides shade and sun protection.
-Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Light colors will help deflect the sun rays away from you.
-Make every attempt to avoid outdoor activities during the hottest hours of the day.  I work on my blog, design a new piece of jewelry for my Etsy shop, or research new lampwork techniques in the cool house when the heat is overwhelming (like today).

-Got any tips for cooling off? I’d love to hear about them.  Stay cool!
Share this Blog Post :

No comments:

Post a Comment